I absolutely LOVE this recipe. You can use this with ground turkey or ground beef, it goes well with both!
A few notes about this recipe: This allergy friendly recipe is delicious and omits some of the traditional ingredients in meatloaf such as milk and bread crumbs. This recipe is great for those on AIP diet because you can omit the almond flour and substitute for flax meal. The garlic, green pepper, fresh herbs and onions really give this a healthy twist with a punch of flavor. Since coconut flour absorbs so much liquid you don’t need a large amount to hold this meatloaf together. You can decide how you’d like to bake your meatloaf. You can bake it directly in a loaf pan…or you can shape your mixture into a loaf and bake it on a larger pan. I prefer this method because it browns the entire meatloaf and ensures that the fat and liquid drain off during baking.
- 2 lbs. pasture raised organic ground turkey or grassfed beef
- 2 tbsp almond flour or flax meal
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- ½ onion, chopped finely
- 1/4c fresh chopped cilantro
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4tsp pepper
- 1 organic, pasture raised egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk (coconut or pea milk work great)
- 1/2c tomato sauce or BBQ sauce (for topping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. You can use a 9×5” loaf pan or baking dish. I like to spray some avocado oil on the bottom to grease it a bit for easy serving
- In a small food processor like a bullet, chop the onions, garlic and herbs
- In a small bowl, mix the flours with the salt and pepper. Add the chopped herb mixture and beaten eggs
- Add the meat and mix thoroughly with your hands until well blended.
- Put your mixture in your prepared baking pan
- Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, covered is suggested.
- After 20 minutes (halfway through baking), add your tomato sauce or approved BBQ sauce topping and return to oven to continue cooling until the internal temperature reaches 155F.
- Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves: 6 Delicious with the glazed acorn squash recipe and/or a side salad or grilled vegetables.