A favorite holiday time recipe for us. So easy to make and just so delicious. And does not trigger autoimmune types of inflammation.
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Total time: 45-55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the Filling
- 7-9 medium Fuji apples (about 1.5 lbs), peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder or 1/4 tsp extract
- few pinches unrefined sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If necessary, soften your coconut oil and coconut butter by placing the jars in a bowl filled with hot water for several minutes.
- Peel and core the apples, then slice into about 6-8 wedges per apple. Place wedges in a medium/small baking dish — I use a vintage dish that’s about 2 quarts (it measures almost 11″x9″). If your baking dish is a lot larger, you will need to increase the amount of topping so that all the apples are covered. If it’s smaller, either decrease the amount of topping or you may need to increase the cooking time to compensate for a thicker topping layer.
- Squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle cinnamon on top of the apple wedges and toss with a spoon to coat them evenly.
- Add oats, coconut flour, sugar, cinnamon powder (or pumpkin pie spice blend, if using), and unrefined salt to a mixing bowl and stir to combine evenly.
- Add ghee to the dry ingredients and use the pastry blender to form the dough. Finish the dough with your hands, kneading it gently until it reaches a smooth consistency. It should be moist, yet crumbly. Add additional ghee if it feels a bit dry or you prefer something moist (I try to keep the fat content low)
- Crumble the topping on top of the apple wedges and use your fingers to press it down, forming a crust.
- Bake at 350F until done, about 30-40 minutes. The topping should be golden brown, but do not overcook.
- Let cool about 5 minutes outside of the oven, then dig in and enjoy!
This is delicious with So Delicious sugar free, dairy free vanilla ice cream. JUST WOW!